Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Pecan Shortbread Biscuits


Ok, I know we call them cookies in the USA. Sorry to anyone looking for a new twist on the fluffy buttermilk goodness commonly served with white gravy south of the Mason Dixon line.  Maybe your Appalachian mamaw made something like this, but she probably didn't call it a 'biscuit'.  However, I have Mrs. Beeton's to thank for most of this recipe, so I can't exactly call it a cookie, now can I?  Mrs. Beeton first started advising British homemakers on cookery and household management in 1860.  Among the chapters for recipes, first aid, and social customs, her first editions also included instructions on how to best manage household servants.  When I crack open my 4-inch thick "concise" version of her book of cookery, I sometimes wonder how I might adapt those original techniques...or modernize, perhaps, the idea of managing my servan--...I mean children.  Haha...I mean I want to manage my children better :-)  Maybe I'll just go bake some cookies with them...

Ingredients:
6 oz (1 cup) soft white or bronze chief whole wheat flour
3 oz (1/2 cup) semolina flour
2 oz (1/4 cup) caster sugar
Pinch of salt
1 cup pecans, finely chopped or ground into a meal texture
6 oz (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter

Method:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Combine dry ingredients, then rub the butter into the flour mixture until it forms a dough.  Knead gently if necessary to make sure there are not lumps of butter in the dough.  With a cookie scoop, scoop out balls of dough and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.  Leave 1 inch gaps between cookies.  Bake for 20 minutes.  Remove from the oven and gently place them on a cooling rack, or let cool completely before serving. Store in an airtight container.

1 comment:

  1. these are the best cookies ever! i added some coca powder to make it chocality

    ReplyDelete