Sunday, June 12, 2011

Greened Out

For the first time in nearly 13 years I heard my husband say, "I think I have had enough greens this week." He's the sort of guy who loves to eat fresh vegetables, especially the green ones. And when he eats foods high in saturated fats (which is rare for him), he claims he can feel the fat in his veins. If only I had this sixth sense. So I am amused to hear him proclaiming satiation when it comes to the leafy greens. Today is our CSA pick-up day. I wonder if we will have another box full of kale, collards, kohlrabi and chard. The Chattanooga Market has a theme each week, and today happens to be the "Chattanooga Green Festival," so it would be ironic if we suddenly had a shortage of those nutrient rich, blood-cleansing large green leaves in our box. All right, then. Let's muster some courage and creativity, and explore some more ways to cook and enjoy those lovely brassicas. Here are some ideas that I might try this week:

Just yesterday a friend was bragging about his dinner: Pizza with caramelized onions & chard. His wife was hailed as a food genius. Agreed. She has many gifts in this world, including her ability to feed her family well, but I want the recipe. Turns out it's on the NY Times food blog: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/29/health/nutrition/29recipehealth.html?_r=1&ref=chard

Also on NY Times, a yummy Tunisian stew using fennel & Chard: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/09/health/nutrition/09recipehealth.html?ref=chard

Move over popcorn, here come Kale Chips for a snack! http://smittenkitchen.com/2010/03/baked-kale-chips/

And if I get lazy, I can always sautee the greens with garlic, oil, and whatever vinegar, spices, or sauces take my fancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment