Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Please Can I Have That Cookie Recipe?

That's what I said the first time I tasted these cookies, and that's what I hear every time they are served. Quite possibly, these are some of the best cookies on the planet. I played with the recipe I was given and tried to make them nutritious enough to serve as a guiltless treat for my kids...and the grownups too.

Oatmeal Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies:

2 sticks unsalted butter
1 cup of sucanat
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups oat flour (or whole wheat)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp kosher or sea salt
3 cups rolled oats
2 cups finely chopped walnuts
2 cups Nestle's milk chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325 degrees
In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, salt and nuts. Set aside.
In a large bowl, cream together butter and sucanat with electric hand mixer.
Beat in eggs one at a time, then stir in vanilla.
Add flour mixture and stir together until wet.
Add oats and chocolate chips and combine with a wooden spoon until evenly mixed together.
With a cookie scoop or teaspoon, drop on ungreased baking sheets.
Bake for 12 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing from baking sheet.

Variation:
Omit the chocolate chips and walnuts.
Add 1 tsp cinnamon, 2 cups finely chopped pecans, 1 cup craisins, 1 cup chopped dried apples.

1 comment: