Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Bluegrass Grill

Well, where would you go? January blues, cabin fever, and three children under the age of five, plus a craving for biscuits and gravy, sent us straight to Main Street this morning. I like the name, Bluegrass Grill. I like that it has a neighborhood diner sort of feel to it, but there's also an unpretentious appreciation for artistry in this restaurant. What I mean is that although the food comes out hot and in good speed, there seems to be a hand-crafted and slow-food approach to their business in general. They serve delicious, whole-wheat biscuits and gravy, several vegetarian choices, and a few Greek-inspired treats. Yes, the food is good, fresh, and uncomplicated.

This could be the end of my story, but did I mention that I was going out to eat with three small children? I go to my local diner on Main Street because they have a basket of toys for the kids, and give them a bowl of dry Cheerios as appetizers. Although I was the only customer with children, I was not scorned for bringing my kids into their dining room. On the contrary, I was welcomed among the business and retired luncher's with smiles. In this small space, that I imagine would not seat more than 50 people, the baby had exposed brick walls to entertain his eyes. Meanwhile, a sloping wooden floor provided entertainment for those customers who like to throw their sippy cups under the table. Imagine, (ironically) a Greek stage...with the door being at the proscenium and the kitchen is perched in a true "upstage," with tables in between. It's an old building that was recently renovated, so perhaps the sloped floor had another purpose in a past life, but today it was for lessons on gravity. The server even brought us six or seven sets of cutlery wrapped in napkins. (I suppose, in case Oliver decided to do his drum solo.) I gush, only because this sort of experience is a rare treat for a mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment