Monday, January 11, 2010

Longings and cravings

Something might be missing. Taste again. I stand in my kitchen and wonder, is it a little more salt that I need? Perhaps it is cardamon. No, I'll try fennel. I toil at the preparations. It's not calories that I crave. It's the particular flavors tied to memories and senses that I attempt to re-create. Sometimes the challenge is from a dream that drew me out of my sleep at 3am. No that was the baby that drew me out of my sleep at 3am, but alas I was hungry too. There is a flavor in that nebulous thought that fell out of my small packet of REM sleep. Then it hits me. It's the smiles on faces. The sighs and groans of happy taste buds that drive my longing to create another spoonful. When we sit together and eat and drink, that is when I am satisfied. Come take your place. Join me now and tell me your longings and cravings. To fill our minds and souls and bellies together would be a luscious meal indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment